On behalf of Bradford NUT we would like to welcome all of you to the new school term. If you are new to teaching, welcome. If you are new to Bradford, welcome to a city with a strong and growing NUT branch. And if you have been in Bradford and the NUT for some time, welcome back. Every year we are contacted by NQTs with problems which could have been resolved more easily if we had known about them earlier. Many of them would not even arise if the members concerned had known their rights. This newsletter should help NQT members survive and equip school reps and other members to support NQTs and ensure that they have a successful induction year:
- NQTs must be assigned an induction tutor- this is required by DfES circular ‘The Induction Period for NQTs.’
- The Headteacher must ensure that all teachers serving induction do not teach for more than 90% of the time allocated to other classroom teachers without responsibility payments.
- In addition to this they are entitled to 10% PPA time in line with all other teachers.
- The local authority is required to have a named individual with whom NQTs can raise concerns about their induction. Schools should make NQTs aware of contact details for that person. If not we can.
- All NQTs should be on permanent contracts unless there is a specific and justifiable reason for a temporary contract, eg cover for maternity, long-term sickness, secondment. If you are on a temporary contract, ask for the reason and contact us.
- All NQTs are entitled to a reasonable job description which does not demand teaching outside the age range and subjects for which they are trained and does not present them on a day-to-day basis with acute or overly demanding discipline problems