Minutes of the General Meeting held on 25th September 2007
Intro : CND’s work in schools, explained by Sara Cartin. Produced and distributed a pack for use in schools. Comments welcomed. email@example.com (Anna ? – peace education officer – will go into schools) Downing Street Petition about military recruitment in schools (No 10 website, via education and skills website)
Apologies : Denis White, Azhar Iqbal.
Minutes : Agreed are a true record.
Matters arising : Geoff Robinson Fund – Grange project has happened, very successful.
NUT’s Pride in Education Conference. November 2007 – details given.
NUT’s Conference on Faith Schools, November 2007 – delegates sought or Jane Rendle or Stuart Davies will go.
Proposed and Seconded that we should sent a delegate.
Unite against Fascism – reaffiliation due – Agreed to reaffiliate.
Reports and Discussions:
- Warm welcome offered for new teachers.
Alison Hill (Buttershaw) wanted introductions, officers did this.
- Academies Jane reported. Consultation has now ended for Rhodesway. Reports are with Kath Tunstall, Director of Childrens’ Services and we await news.
Wyke Manor – Now have Outline Planning Permission and wait to see from DfES if site is suitable for an Academy.
- Your Conditions of Service The 2007 school teachers pay and conditions document has some changes.
* Primary teachers still have the same heavy workload (over 51 hours per week) as they had in 2000. Workforce reform has not improved their lot.
In Secondary there has been a slight improvement, (on 47 hours per week), mainly explained by reduction in cover. In 2008 it is expected that the 38 hrs of cover will steadily reduce so that by 1 st September 2009, it is rare that teachers will cover. A target has been set in Teachers’ Pay & Conditions Document, for schools.
* Line Manager could begin to make recommendations about movement on UPS Scale. Only for UPS, doesn’t apply to main scale. Performance Management Reviewer makes the decision. Pay review date 1 st Septemer. For this year it is still the head’s decision but from next year it will be the Reviewer.
TLR’s Must be consultation about any restructuring of the TLR’s. Governing Body must bring proposals. This is a legal requirement.
Letter about negotiating 1265hrs to go on our website. Time Off allowances also to go on website.
VLE Work-life balance should not be intruded upon so staff should not be required to reply to emails from parents when at home. It should be made clear to parents what they can expect in terms of responses from teachers.
Pay ( Ian Murch reported)
Public sector pay norm of 2.5% set by Government.
April ’06 – March ’07 = 4.8% inflation.
Private sector pay rises about 4.1 – 4.2%
School Teachers’ Review Body reports at end October on our pay over next 3 years. Government will then report ca 2 weeks later whether or not it accepts STRB’s recommendation.
STRB wanted a review of our2.5% rise for this September. Government declined this. UNISON is balloting for a strike of local government staff this term. NUT committed to balloting on a strike if the Government gets its way and the Review Body recommends rises limited to 2% a year for the next 3 years.
Mugs being commissioned for campaign.
Postal workers on strike 5 th October next. Should invite someone to speak at next meeting. Or PCS.
- Officers had to give urgent assistance to a member who was faced with being deported. Made a loan of £620 approximately. Agreed to sanction this.
- National Officers Election Campaign. Donation of £1000 to joint campaign of Gill Goodswen, Roger King and Alyson Palmer (and Ian if he is opposed) proposed. Theses are the candidates we nominated. Agreed.
Meeting closed at 6.40pm.